(AINA) -- Baba Sheikh Khurto Hajji Ismail, the head of the Supreme Spiritual Council of Ezidikhan, has declared the establishment of a provisional Yazidi government. In a proclamation published on July 25, he calls for Yazidis who were displaced by the ISIS genocide to return to their homelands.
ISIS captured Mosul in June of 2014 and subsequently engaged in a systematic genocide of Yazidis and Assyrians, killing thousands of Yazidis and hundreds of Assyrians, driving nearly 200,000 Assyrians away from their homes in the Nineveh Plains, displacing tens of thousands of Yazidis and capturing and selling Yazidi women as sex slaves.
Related: Timeline of ISIS in Iraq
The proclamation outlines the structure of the provisional government and lists nine goals:
- Actively promote Yezidi immigration and the return of the Yezidi Diaspora;
- Foster the economic, social and political prosperity and stability of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants;
- Implement a charter and Constitution protecting individual and community freedom, justice and peace as envisaged in the traditions of Ezidikhan;
- Advance and establish customary and judicial laws to ensure equality of social, economic and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, creed, ethnic identity or sex or political affiliations;
- Guarantee to the citizens of Ezidikhan freedom of press, religion, conscience, language, education, legal rights and culture;
- Affirm that Treaties concluded by the Executive Administration and approved by the Governing Council shall be the law of the land;
- Safeguard any nation that wishes to come under the protection of Ezidikhan in a manner consistent with an agreed bi-lateral treaty;
- Safeguard the Holy Places and sacred objects of all religions; and
- Be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and international law.
The proclamation was signed by five Yazidi leaders.