Jerusalem (AHN) -- Syria's information minister on Monday said his nation would like to reach a negotiated settlement with Israel, but will resort to armed force to regain the Golan Heights if it feels there is no alternative.
Speaking at a Damascus press conference, Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal said that if Israel rejects the newly re-adopted Arab League regional peace proposal, "resistance will be the only way to liberate the Golan Heights."
Israel captured the Golan from Syrian in the 1967 Six Day War, after it had been used over the previous 19 years as a launching pad for invasions of and frequent low-level attacks on the Jewish state.
The Saudi-authored Arab League peace initiative calls for Israel's full withdrawal from the Golan, as well as from the West Bank.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said he is ready to negotiate with the Arab world with the proposal serving as the basis for talks, but will not accept the deal in its current form, which fails to take into account Israeli security concerns.
Analysts cited by The Jerusalem Post said Syria could resort either to full scale conventional war against Israel, or a campaign of guerilla warfare and localized terrorism in the Golan Heights similar to what Lebanon's Hezbollah practiced against Israel prior to last summer's war.
By Ryan R. Jones
All Headline News